The People’s Palace, a Grade 1 listed building on Glasgow Green is the city’s social history museum. It was built in 1898, with the original purpose of providing the people of Glasgow’s east end with a public building celebrating art and culture. Since 1940 the museum has been dedicated to the interpretation and presentation of Glasgow’s social history.
The master plan developed by Campbell & Co puts the achievements of ordinary Glaswegian citizens in the spotlight.
Glasgow was once ‘the second city of the empire’ and a great industrial powerhouse, the redisplayed collections reflect and interpret the city’s industrial heritage. However there is more to the part that the working classes made in creating such a great city, the new thematic displays in the redesigned galleries over three floors also celebrate the huge influence and contribution Glasgow’s working-class culture has made to the city and far beyond in art, literature media.